Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mekong Mini's

Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, CambodiaImage by victoriapeckham via Flickr
The following is a short compendium of odds and ends that were not worthy of blog posts, yet somehow struck me as worthy of note.
  • The tractor in Cambodia with the Nebraska plates.
  • Durian fruit expressly forbidden in my Saigon Hotel
  • The "no grenades" policy at my hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Perhaps they had a bad experience
  • Trying to eat a whole crab swimming in sweet chili sauce in the shell with only chopsticks while respecting local dining customs
  • Four people on one scooter, a relatively common sight
  • Cambodia actually has a shopping channel
  • The 60 year old mamsan who worked at my hotel in Siem Reap, calmly joining me at my table to roll a joint as I ate my breakfast
  • The street vendor in Hanoi who proudly displayed the barbecued dogs head as he cut up the meat. I give him points for honesty, but no thanks, I had dog for breakfast. I drew the line at frog, or at least I hope I did.
  • The "psychic" in Thailand who tried to hustle me by telling me I had a "funny face", causing a fellow traveler to laugh out loud as he passed by.
And lastly, this exchange with a girl of about ten, who was trying to sell me bracelets just outside Angkor Wat, Cambodia.

Girl: Do you want to buy my bracelets?
Me: No, thank you
Girl: Very nice gift for your wife!
Me: I don't have a wife
Girl: Then nice gift for your girlfriend!
Me:  I don't have a girlfriend
Girl:  Do you know why you don't have a wife or a girlfriend?
Me:  No, I don't
Girl: Because you don't buy my bracelets!

I simply could not argue with that kind of iron clad logic, and, of course I bought a bracelet.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]